The Most Important Step of Pre-Production: An Interview with Good Clothing Company
If you’ve been around these parts for awhile, you know that I’m a big fan of Kathryn Hilderbrand, who is the owner of Good Clothing Company, a cut and sew manufacturer in Massachusetts.
From tailor to designer to full-scale manufacturer, Kathryn has seen more parts of the apparel industry than most people. She is an expert in her field and today she is bringing that knowledge to Factory45.
Following up from the last interview I did with Mindy Martell of Clothier Design Source, my interview with Kathryn goes more in depth to focus on only one piece of the apparel production puzzle.
In this 15-minute interview, Kathryn and I discuss:
- Why it’s so important to know that a home-sewing pattern and production-ready pattern are not the same thing.
- What an entrepreneur needs to have ready to begin the pattern-making process.
- Why patternmaking is so important to the pre-production phase.
- How each step of the patternmaking process work.
- What an entrepreneur can do to ensure the patternmaking process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Why you shouldn’t expect the very first pattern to come out perfect.
- The importance of fit and specs.
- And much more.
Click the video below to watch the whole interview.
If you thought the interview with Kathryn was helpful, we’d love for you to share it — use the social sharing buttons for the platform of your choice (they’re on the left and down below!).