For Black Friday last year, I wrote an article for The Huffington Post with a list of 50 ethical businesses to support on Black Friday.
This year, I’ve revised that list to bring you more options for shopping sustainably and ethically while supporting small businesses. Whether you choose to #OptOut of Black Friday this year or not, save this list for your holiday shopping — or even future shopping.
At the least, the perceived stress of the holiday season won’t be about whether you’re supporting slave labor and unethical manufacturing practices.
It’s fun to give — but it’s important to make sure that somewhere someone else isn’t paying for it.
Note! The brands with asterisks are companies that either came through the Factory45 accelerator program or were past clients of mine.
Brass | transparent manufacturing. less is more.
Cuyana | fewer, better things. superior quality.
* Eenvoud | minimalist & sustainable womenswear. made in NYC.
Green Line by K | sustainably-made yogawear.
Hackwith Design House | limited edition. short run. made in the USA.
La Fille Colette | day-to-night dresses, ethically made in the USA.
Nicole Lenzen | chic day to night womenswear. made in NYC.
Piece x Piece | luxury. salvaged fabrics. made in San Francisco.
Pima Doll | sustainable. less waste. made in Peru.
Prairie Underground | for independent women. made sustainably in Seattle.
Reformation | killer clothes that don’t kill the environment. made in LA.
Seamly | sustainable. versatile. made in Colorado.
StudyNY | seasonless. contemporary. made in Brooklyn.
Synergy Clothing | organic, fair labor womenswear. supports artisans in Nepal.
Vaute Couture | vegan. recycled fibers. made in NYC.
Apolis | socially motivated to empower communities.
Bluff Works | wash less. wrinkle free. made in NYC.
Brave Gentleman | for ethically handsome men.
Flint & Tinder | made in America & built to last.
Jed & Marne | family business + sustainable practices. made in Guatemala.
Peter Field | men’s accessories made in the USA.
Tuckerman & Co. | organic cotton buttondowns. made in New England.
* Be Kind Vibes | american-made apparel for the conscious adventurer.
Everlane | modern basics. radical transparency.
* Forest and Fin | screen-printed tees. non-toxic ink. handmade in Savannah.
Loomstate | organic & sustainable designer apparel.
NAU | outdoor apparel made from sustainable materials.
Victor Athletics | organic, vintage-inspired athletic wear. made in the USA.
PACT Apparel | organic cotton. socks, underwear & basics.
Zady |a lifestyle destination for conscious consumers.
Aventyr kidswear | unisex, eco-friendly kidswear. made in the USA.
* Citizen Smalls | sustainable, soft, modern kids apparel. made in the USA.
* Cuckoo Children’s Co. | sustainable children’s clothing. made in North Carolina.
Dhana | organic, fair trade fabric. low impact dyes.
* Noble Carriage | organic cotton baby goods.
* Petite Marin | upcycled heirloom children’s products. made in California.
* Princess Awesome | gender-busting girls clothes. made in the USA.
* Ruth & Ragnar | online store selling colorful 100% organic cotton kidswear.
* Wildly Co. | ethically made, family-owned childrenswear. made in the USA.
* Wynn Ruby | online children’s boutique supporting small businesses + handmade.
* Alter UR Ego | blue jeans for men and women in wheelchairs. made in North Carolina.
Gamine | selvedge denim dungarees. american-made.
Imogene + Willie | husband / wife team making blue jeans in Nashville.
Noble Denim | responsibly-made jeans. makers of quality.
Raleigh Denim | old-school denim crafters. made in the USA.
* Bhava | cruelty-free. conscious. vegan.
Nisolo | handmade. ethically-sourced leather.
Sseko Designs | sandals that empower & employ women.
Veja | transparently-made sneakers from organic, fair trade materials.
* Activyst | athletic bags that fund girls’ sports worldwide.
* Alesya Bags | responsibly-sourced leather goods made in the USA.
* Fair Seas Supply Co. | round, organic beach towels. made in California.
Hera By Day | handcrafted turbans for the modern bohemian.
* Mamachic | the do-it-all accessory for the do-it-all-mama.
Malena | ethical goods that tell a story and empower people worldwide.
MULXIPLY | fair trade. artisan craftsmanship. made in Nepal.
Looptworks | repurpose excess textiles into new products.
Project Repat | upcycle your memorable t-shirts into a blanket. made in the USA.
Raven + Lily | ethical fashion brand dedicated to empowering women worldwide.
sarah oliver handbags | handmade bags, employing senior citizens.
Stone + Cloth | canvas bags provide scholarships to students.
Sword & Plough | recycled military fabric upcycled into bags. made by veterans.
The Giving Keys | made from repurposed materials in Los Angeles.
Wild Mantle | hooded scarves. handwoven with sustainable materials.
>>>It’s easy to share this post using the social media buttons to your left!
Photos courtesy of Eenvoud, Apolis, Victor Athletics, Wildly Co., Gamine, Nisolo & Mamachic.